I believe it is the BEST chocolate mug cake I have ever tried, and luckily thousands of people agree with me. So while I initially didn't write a blog post on this recipe, all the love it has received has convinced me it it is time.
WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE?
There are many chocolate mug cake recipes on the internet, but many of them don't turn out exactly right: they can be too muddy and dense, too dry, too rubbery, too moist, too sweet, and so on and so forth.
In comes this incredible recipe to save the day!! This chocolate mug cake solves all these problems and is the perfect answer to your late night chocolate cravings. You don't have to take my word for it - here are just a few of the many comments I got on this recipe:
I made it and it's DELICIOUS! It's the best mug cake!Iris
This was the only mug cake recipe I've found that isn't leathery and oily - it's sooo moist and spongy and delicious!Dhaya
I tried so many mug recipes and this one was the best one I've ever tried!Noussa
SO GOOD!!! I've tried so many microwave recipes and they all turned out horrible but this was great! Definitely recommend
I've tried a lot of mug cake recipes and this is the best by far!Julia
100000/10 it was sooo good! I added chocolate and raspberry on topRocky
Wow, I just made this and it LEGIT tasted like a fresh chocolate cake out of the oven!! it is so good. I finally found my favorite mug cakeB
Not to mention, this recipe is so quick and easy that there's really no reason not to give it a try, really.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
Before I get into the quick and simple recipe, let me share my best tips to get this mug cake right:
- Choose the right kind of mug. It should be microwave safe, and have around 10-12oz of capacity (ideally 12). The cake won't take up the full mug, but can rise quite a bit in the microwave, and using a big enough mug will help ensure the batter does not spill and the cake doesn't "explode"
- Start with the wet ingredients. When you put the wet ingredients into the mug first, it is easier to mix everything together. Starting with dry ingredients sometimes results in clumps of flour in the bottom corners of the mug which are hard to mix in (note that I forgot to do this in the video below, but do as I say, not as I do!)
- Measure accurately. Instead of using random spoons, use proper measuring spoons to get the quantities right. For flour, make sure to first fluff it up and then add to the spoon, swiping off any excess
- Sift the dry ingredients. Since we are pretty much dumping everything into the mug, I recommend sifting the dry ingredients to minimize any lumps
- Adjust the sweetness to your preference - you can do anywhere from 1.5 to 3 tablespoon of sugar
- "Bake" for the right amount of time. For me, this cake takes about 80s in a 12oz glass mug, but the time can range from 60-90s. See the section below for more detail
HOW TO MAKE THE TIKTOK VIRAL CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
Check out this simple video in which I demonstrate how to make this mug cake:
HOW TO KNOW WHEN A MUG CAKE IS DONE?
With microwave cakes, it is really hard to give a precise amount of time for cooking, since different microwaves have different power settings, and the time also depends on how large or wide your mug is.
This cake can take anywhere between 60-90s, and you have to judge whether it looks based on how the cake looks. When it is done, it should be soft and moist, but not wet on the top, and kind of spongy if you press on it. It will continue to cook as it cools down, so you don't want to cook it until it is completely dry.
You can start checking the cake around the 60s mark, but avoid giving long breaks between microwaving as that can cause the cake to sink. If you have no idea where to start, 80 seconds is a good place to start.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Unfortunately, no, as that is the main chocolate component in this mug cake.
You should use a microwave safe mug that is between 10-12oz, and ideally not too wide or too narrow.
This happens if the dry ingredients aren't well combined. To avoid this, first add the wet ingredients to the cup, then sift in the wet ingredients and mix until no streaks of flour remain.
Yes, you can reduce the sugar to as low as 1.5 tbsp.
This is likely because your mug is too small, or you added too much baking powder. Measure accurately and make sure your mug is at least 10oz in volume.
A rubbery mug cake is indicative of being overcooked, or incorrect measurements. Please be precise with the measurements and stop cooking once the cake is soft but not wet on the top.
MORE MUG CAKE RECIPES
After the warm response to this mug cake, I have turned midnight mug cakes into a series! Check out the rest of them, and let me know what I should turn into a mug cake next:Print