Delectable and chocolatey cakes with a molten interior that take only 20 minutes and 8 ingredients to make!
- 1/4 cup butter (56g)
- 100g semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar depending on your preference for sweetness
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1-2 tsp red gel food color
- Butter to coat the ramekins
- Pre-heat your oven to 450F (conventional) and prepare 2 6 oz ramekins by generously brushing butter inside them.
- Add chocolate and butter to a heat-safe bowl, and microwave in 20 second increments until both have melted. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, sugar, salt and vanilla. Use an electric hand mixer to whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is light, frothy and almost triple in volume.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Sift in the flour, and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until the flour is mixed in. Take care to be gentle and not to overmix.
- Add the red food color and gently fold. You can adjust the quantity based on how strong you want the pay-off to be.
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins. Bake for ~10-11 minutes until the edges are done but the center is still molten (you can tell by a wobble in the cakes).
- Let the cakes cool inside the ramekins for 1-2 minutes, then carefully turn them out onto your dessert plates. Dust with powdered sugar, and serve!
- You can use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet, but you might want to reduce the sugar
- I strongly recommend using gel food color to get the best pay-off. Liquid food color will not have the strength to turn a chocolate batter red
- You can easily double or triple this recipe
- These red velvet molten lava cakes can be refrigerated or frozen inside the ramekins before baking. You will need to increase baking time accordingly
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes For Two